BBC journalists to strike over layoffs
London: BBC journalists are set to go on strike for 24 hours in a dispute over layoffs, potentially disrupting the broadcaster`s programming.
Members of the National Union of Journalists will walk off the job at midnight tomorrow, and picket lines will be set up outside of BBC offices around the UK.
The union, which says jobs will be cut across the corporation, has asked the BBC for a six-month moratorium on all job cuts to allow for talks and negotiation.
The BBC said on Sunday it was "too early" to speculate on possible disruptions to the broadcaster`s programming and expressed disappointment over the strike plans.
It said it understands how difficult layoffs can be and that it is working hard to ensure staff members are redeployed wherever possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video