BBC journalists to strike over layoffs
London: BBC journalists are set to go on strike for 24 hours in a dispute over layoffs, potentially disrupting the broadcaster`s programming.
Members of the National Union of Journalists will walk off the job at midnight tomorrow, and picket lines will be set up outside of BBC offices around the UK.
The union, which says jobs will be cut across the corporation, has asked the BBC for a six-month moratorium on all job cuts to allow for talks and negotiation.
The BBC said on Sunday it was "too early" to speculate on possible disruptions to the broadcaster`s programming and expressed disappointment over the strike plans.
It said it understands how difficult layoffs can be and that it is working hard to ensure staff members are redeployed wherever possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'