BBC to review Diamond Jubilee coverage
BBC said it will review its performance over the extended weekend and look at how its coverage of the events could have been improved.
The BBC said: "We acknowledge that not every aspect of our coverage was to everyone`s taste, but across all the hours of broadcasting we have received appreciations as well as complaints.
It is worth noting that this was a live broadcasting event of unprecedented scale and complexity amidst weather conditions which turned out to be challenging for all involved".
It added: "We review all the programming we broadcast and this weekend`s coverage will be no exception.
All the comments we have received will be part of the feedback we use when we come to look at how this weekend`s programming could have been improved".
The BBC noted that it provided extensive coverage of the Diamond Jubilee through a wide range of television and radio programmes covering the many aspects of the celebrations, with a variety of tones and styles across the weekend for different audiences.
Across the Jubilee period, almost 70 per cent of the nation tuned in to some of this programming, it said.
Viewers and commentators listed several inaccuracies in its coverage, including referring to Queen Elizabeth as `Her Royal Highness the Queen`, instead of Her Majesty; the bow of the royal barge mistaken for the stern; upriver being confused with downriver.
Writer and television personality Stephen Fry wrote: "Has the BBC ever presented a more mind-numbingly tedious programme in its history? `HRH the queen` said the first ignorant presenter.
HRH?" The BBC was criticised for allegedly treating the pageant as a party rather than a formal commemorative event.
Peter Sissons, a respected newsreader who retired from the BBC some years ago, called the coverage `a disaster`, and said that the way the pageant had been handled would "do huge damage to the BBC`s reputation for being able to handle the big historic occasions".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok