Berlusconi lawmakers to quit if ex-premier ousted
Rome: Italy`s Senate president says nearly all the senators of Silvio Berlusconi`s party have vowed to resign if the former premier is ousted from Parliament for his tax fraud conviction.
If carried out, the resignations would spark a crisis in Premier Enrico Letta`s fragile, 5-month-old left-right hybrid government.
Senate President Renato Schifani told TG4 news today that 87 of the 91 senators of Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party had turned in letters of resignation pending the October 4 vote.
Senators will decide then whether to strip Berlusconi of his seat following his tax fraud conviction and four-year prison sentence.
A 2012 law bans anyone sentenced to more than two years in prison from holding or running for public office for six years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack