Berlusconi lawmakers to quit if ex-premier ousted
Rome: Italy`s Senate president says nearly all the senators of Silvio Berlusconi`s party have vowed to resign if the former premier is ousted from Parliament for his tax fraud conviction.
If carried out, the resignations would spark a crisis in Premier Enrico Letta`s fragile, 5-month-old left-right hybrid government.
Senate President Renato Schifani told TG4 news today that 87 of the 91 senators of Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party had turned in letters of resignation pending the October 4 vote.
Senators will decide then whether to strip Berlusconi of his seat following his tax fraud conviction and four-year prison sentence.
A 2012 law bans anyone sentenced to more than two years in prison from holding or running for public office for six years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing