Berlusconi lawmakers to quit if ex-premier ousted
Rome: Italy`s Senate president says nearly all the senators of Silvio Berlusconi`s party have vowed to resign if the former premier is ousted from Parliament for his tax fraud conviction.
If carried out, the resignations would spark a crisis in Premier Enrico Letta`s fragile, 5-month-old left-right hybrid government.
Senate President Renato Schifani told TG4 news today that 87 of the 91 senators of Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party had turned in letters of resignation pending the October 4 vote.
Senators will decide then whether to strip Berlusconi of his seat following his tax fraud conviction and four-year prison sentence.
A 2012 law bans anyone sentenced to more than two years in prison from holding or running for public office for six years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof