Berlusconi`s party most popular in Italy: Survey
Rome: Silvio Berlusconi`s conservative People of Freedom (PdL) made a remarkable political comeback, emerging as the most popular Italian party, according to a survey.
A total of 27.9 percent of electors surveyed said they would vote for the PdL, according to a new opinion poll Friday.
The PdL has forged ahead of its coalition partner, the centre-left Democratic Party (PD), whose support slid 1.4 percent to 24 percent since the election.
Berlusconi`s supporters didn`t appear to have alienated from the PdL by his recent binding conviction for tax fraud and possible ejection from the Italian Senate upper house of parliament next month.
But less than half (39 percent) of the voters believe the PdL should ditch the fragile coalition government if Berlusconi loses his Senate seat, as the billionaire media tycoon has repeatedly threatened.
Seventy percent of voters polled say Berlusconi should allow the PdL to continue in coalition with the PD even if the Senate does evict him next month.
But only half of the voters believe the coalition government should continue.
Berlusconi has been sentenced to a year in prison - to be served under house arrest or in community service - but has stated he will continue to lead the PdL.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan