Blagojevich to be sentenced next month
Chicago: Impeached Illinois governor Rod R
Blagojevich will be sentenced on December 6 by a US court in
connection with a case of corruption in which he was accused
along with two Indian-American businessmen.
Blagojevich, along with two Indian American businessmen
Rajinder Bedi and Raghuveer Nayak, were accused of being
involved in wire fraud and extortion for trying to sell the
senate seat of Barack Obama, whose election to the post of
president had left it vacant.
Although Blagojevich was convicted in June, no charges
were framed against the two Indians.
During the hearing yesterday, US District Judge James
Zagel set sentencing for Blagojevich on December 6 and, if
necessary, December 7, US Attorney`s Office said, adding that
government and defence were ordered to file their respective
sentencing memos by November 30.
Bedi and Nayak were also accused of helping Blagojevich
for planning to hold a fundraiser in return to appoint Jesse
Jackson Junior in the senate seat. Bedi was an aide in the
Blagojevich government whereas Nayak was said to be close to
the Jackson family.
They allegedly sold the empty seat in exchange for a USD
6 million fundraiser and raise a million dollars for
In August, a federal grand jury subpoenaed 30 doctors
including more than 10 of Nayak`s employees. FBI was
investigating whether Nayak made improper payments to doctors
to perform surgery at his surgical centres he owns in Illinois
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India