Blagojevich to be sentenced next month
Chicago: Impeached Illinois governor Rod R
Blagojevich will be sentenced on December 6 by a US court in
connection with a case of corruption in which he was accused
along with two Indian-American businessmen.
Blagojevich, along with two Indian American businessmen
Rajinder Bedi and Raghuveer Nayak, were accused of being
involved in wire fraud and extortion for trying to sell the
senate seat of Barack Obama, whose election to the post of
president had left it vacant.
Although Blagojevich was convicted in June, no charges
were framed against the two Indians.
During the hearing yesterday, US District Judge James
Zagel set sentencing for Blagojevich on December 6 and, if
necessary, December 7, US Attorney`s Office said, adding that
government and defence were ordered to file their respective
sentencing memos by November 30.
Bedi and Nayak were also accused of helping Blagojevich
for planning to hold a fundraiser in return to appoint Jesse
Jackson Junior in the senate seat. Bedi was an aide in the
Blagojevich government whereas Nayak was said to be close to
the Jackson family.
They allegedly sold the empty seat in exchange for a USD
6 million fundraiser and raise a million dollars for
In August, a federal grand jury subpoenaed 30 doctors
including more than 10 of Nayak`s employees. FBI was
investigating whether Nayak made improper payments to doctors
to perform surgery at his surgical centres he owns in Illinois
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday