Bodies, black box found after Swiss fighter jet crash
Geneva: Rescuers have recovered the bodies of the two people onboard a Swiss army fighter jet that crashed into a mountainside, as well as the aircraft`s black box, the defence ministry said on Thursday.
"Both people onboard the F/A-18 fighter jet that crashed yesterday have been found dead," the ministry said in a statement.
The F/A-18 Hornet fighter jet was one of two that took off in the canton of Bern yesterday for a training mission, but it crashed shortly after into a cliff overlooking a branch of Lake Lucerne.
A professional airforce pilot and his passenger, an airforce doctor taking part in the training exercise, were killed in the crash.
Rescue workers had recovered both bodies and an autopsy had been ordered, the defence ministry said.
The aircraft`s black box had also been salvaged and was being examined. Depending on the condition of the box, the examination could take "days or even weeks", the ministry added.
The army has launched an investigation into why the crash happened and has temporarily suspended all flights by its fleet of McDonnell Douglas single- and double-seated F/A-18s, which before yesterday`s accident counted 33 fighters.
Another of the Swiss Hornets crashed in Crans-Montana in the south of the country in 1998, killing both pilots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?