Boy killed in rocket attack in Egypt`s Sinai
Cairo: A rocket attack targeting a security patrol killed a six-year-old boy in Egypt`s Sinai Peninsula, an official said.
The rocket, which targetted a security patrol passing near the boy`s house, hit the house in northern Sinai city of Sheikh Zuweid, the official told Xinhua.
Four people from the same family were injured, the official added.
The attack was likely a revenge for more than 50 militants killed last week by the armed forces in response to the killing of two police and military officers by gunmen.
Separately, four militants were killed and 14 were arrested in a security raid in North Sinai.
During the raid, 21 motorbikes and six vans used by the militants to attack the security forces were destroyed, the military statement added.
Militant attacks have mounted since the overthrow of then president Mohamed Morsi of Muslim Brotherhood and the harsh crackdown over his supporters from July 2013.
At least 1,000 have been killed in clashes and thousands arrested, mostly Islamist protestors.
Sinai-based Al Qaeda linked Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis group claimed responsibility for most of attacks against the security personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof