British Queen faces pay freeze until 2015: Report
London: The British Queen is all set to feel
the pinch of the economic downturn as she faces a pay freeze
until 2015 as part of austerity measures imposed in a shake up
of the royal finances, according to a media report.
The royal household is on course for six successive years
of funding cuts -- affecting the Queen`s income, which has
dropped in real terms since 2009.
The austerity measures mean the monarch`s royal palace
repairs will likely be halted. "And any extra taxpayers` money
previously used to fund the court of the Duke and Duchess of
Cambridge, will also no longer be available," the Daily Mail
reported quoting the Sunday Times.
"The Prince of Wales will be responsible for the costs of
providing staff for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, until
Charles becomes king," it said.
Under the new arrangement, the Queen will receive 15 per
cent of the profits made over two years from the Crown Estate,
whose portfolio includes Regent Street, Windsor Great Park and
more than half the country`s shoreline.
Chancellor George Osborne has imposed the freeze on the
Queen`s taxpayer funding -- setting payments at 30 million
pounds per year until April 2013. But she will receive a
further one-off payment of 1 million pounds to fund the cost
of the diamond jubilee.
In stark contrast, she received 77.3 million pounds from
taxpayer funding in 1991-92, but since the recession she has
seen a huge drop, the report said.
In 2008-9 it had fallen to 38.3 million pounds, while
last year she received only 32.1 million pounds, according to
an official Treasury briefing document placed in the House of
Commons and House of Lords libraries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM