Brown`s bid to rally party as Labour slips to 3rd place in poll
London: The ruling Labour party in the UK
was today pushed into third place for the first time in a
generation in a new poll, even as embattled Prime Minister
Gordon Brown made a last-ditch bid to win over Britain`s
"squeezed middle classes" in a bid to avoid a wipe-out in
elections next year.
Brown, in his speech at the party conference in
Brighton, pinned his hopes of political survival on an appeal
to the "squeezed middle classes", insisting that he would
stand up for their values.
He accused the Conservative Party of being heartless
as he urged Labour to "never, never stop believing" and
unveiled a raft of new policies aimed at staving off political
His hugely ambitious programmes of reform set out
plans for free health care, free personal care for the elderly
and a series of plans to address anti-social behaviour.
His fighting speech came after an Ipsos Mori poll put
Labour at 24 per cent, the opposition Liberal Democrats at 25
per cent and the bigger opposition Conservative Party at 36
per cent. The general election is due in Britain by June next
The latest survey also suggested the Tories have lost
some support to the Lib Dems.
The survey pointed out that the Lib Dems traditionally
enjoyed a "bump" in the polls after their annual conference,
and Labour will be hoping for their own bounce at the end of
this week. The headline figures are based on those who say
they are "certain" to vote at the next general election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown