Brown`s bid to rally party as Labour slips to 3rd place in poll
London: The ruling Labour party in the UK
was today pushed into third place for the first time in a
generation in a new poll, even as embattled Prime Minister
Gordon Brown made a last-ditch bid to win over Britain`s
"squeezed middle classes" in a bid to avoid a wipe-out in
elections next year.
Brown, in his speech at the party conference in
Brighton, pinned his hopes of political survival on an appeal
to the "squeezed middle classes", insisting that he would
stand up for their values.
He accused the Conservative Party of being heartless
as he urged Labour to "never, never stop believing" and
unveiled a raft of new policies aimed at staving off political
His hugely ambitious programmes of reform set out
plans for free health care, free personal care for the elderly
and a series of plans to address anti-social behaviour.
His fighting speech came after an Ipsos Mori poll put
Labour at 24 per cent, the opposition Liberal Democrats at 25
per cent and the bigger opposition Conservative Party at 36
per cent. The general election is due in Britain by June next
The latest survey also suggested the Tories have lost
some support to the Lib Dems.
The survey pointed out that the Lib Dems traditionally
enjoyed a "bump" in the polls after their annual conference,
and Labour will be hoping for their own bounce at the end of
this week. The headline figures are based on those who say
they are "certain" to vote at the next general election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi