Chaplain to Queen Elizabeth claims to be ‘victim of racism’
Sydney: A chaplain to Queen Elizabeth has become the first women bishops put forwards claims that she is a victim of racism within the Church of England.
The Rev Rose Hudson-Wilkin, who became the first black female chaplain to the House of Commons, has also asked why there were not more people of minority ethnic backgrounds in leadership roles within the church, which she said was "still struggling with institutional racism", the Herald Sun reports.
According to the paper, Hudson-Wilkin, who was born and brought up in Montego Bay, Jamaica, said she has known people who didn’t want her to do a funeral. She said that she could smile due to her ‘sheer ignorance’ and felt rather sorry for those people who looked down upon her.
“We have been encouraging people to stand and people have been putting themselves forward and have not been elected. I think there is a level of racism around that,” she said.
Hudson-Wilkin, who is vicar to two inner-city parishes in Hackney, east London, said she thought racism was a more pressing issue than homosexuality, the paper said. She claimed that she was deeply saddened by the fact that the church was ‘obsessed by this whole business’ while there are so many other important things.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!