Chile declares day to honour victims of dictatorship
Santiago: Chilean President Michelle Bachelet has declared October 30 National Day of Victims of Political Execution, in memory of thousands killed by the regime of dictator Augusto Pinochet.
"This day is, without doubt, (dedicated) to those who were victims of intolerance and violence," Bachelet said as she signed the decree yesterday referring to the nearly 3,000 people who were murdered, or kidnapped and likely killed for political reasons during Pinochet`s 1973-1990 rule.
"We thought it was an important and relevant way to be mindful of our compatriots who fell victim to the harshness of an age that must not be relived, and to yet again reaffirm our commitment to upholding human rights at all times and everywhere," she said in an address to relatives of the victims.
The honour, she added, was aimed at "preserving the memory of what happened to our society, so that new generations learn the lessons from history and make a moral commitment to prevent the same mistakes, the same horrors."
The Bachelets were among the victims the Pinochet regime`s cruelty.
The President`s father, air force general Alberto Bachelet, died in prison after he was detained by Pinochet agents, accused of treason and tortured.
Michelle Bachelet and her mother Angela Jeria were detained illegally, and after their release fled the country to exile. The younger Bachelet returned in 1979.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Rio-returned athlete Sudha Singh hospitalized
- Companies' business confidence index grows 2.2% in June quarter
- Sensex falls for second straight session, cracks below 28,000-mark
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers