China to modernise military: Defence minister
Beijing: China will "steadily" reform its national defence and modernise its military forces, the defence minister said on the occasion of the Army Day which is observed on August 01 every year.
Minister of National Defence Liang Guanglie made the remarks while celebrating the 84th anniversary of the founding of the People`s Liberation Army (PLA).
"In the world today, peace, development and cooperation remain the trend of the times. However, world peace and development faces multiple challenges. China is going through unprecedented and extensive social changes," Liang was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
He said the Army is facing "more arduous and heavier tasks", and should stay alert to challenges.
He called for enhancing the capability of the Army to accomplish diversified military tasks, with the "capability to win local wars".
"We will expand and deepen preparedness for military struggle, vigorously carry out military training, promote innovation in defence science and equipment development," he said.
He called for accelerating modern logistics, intensifying training of "high-calibre" and "new-type" military personnel.
Liang - also a member of the Central Military Commission - said the Army will continue to oppose and deter secessionist activities for "Taiwan independence", and make due contribution to China`s "complete reunification".
He also pledged to work for long-lasting peace and prosperity of the world.
"We will continue to follow the independent foreign policy of peace, deepen friendly exchanges and cooperation with the armed forces of other countries and contribute to building a harmonious world of enduring peace and common prosperity."
The PLA, over the past 84 years, has made outstanding contribution to safeguarding the nation`s sovereignty, security and territorial integrity as well as advancing China`s economic and social development, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing