Chinese aircraft undergoing cold weather tests
Beijing: China is testing its first home-grown aircraft with a flight range of 3,700 km to check the performance of its hydraulics and other functions in extreme cold conditions.
The 78-to 90-seat aircraft, ARJ21-700 completed a three-hour flight from Xi`an in Shaanxi Province to Manzhouli City, Inner Mongolia on Thursday, according to the jet`s manufacturer, the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (Comac).
A spokesman with the company told official Xinhua news agency that the jet`s cold-weather trial would continue for a week to test the performance of its hydraulics and other functions in Manzhouli, where the daily average temperature is 30 degrees below zero.
The jet has a maximum flight range of 3,700 kilometres and maximum altitude of 11,900 meters.
So far, ARJ21-700 has completed more than 900 hours of tests during 400 trial flights since November 2008, when the plane made its first trial flight in Shanghai.
Comac is working to get US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification.
If achieved, the ARJ21 will be the first Chinese commercial aircraft to receive US approval.
China`s AVIC International Holding Corporation signed a deal with Comac to sell 100 ARJ21-700 baseline models overseas at an air show held last November in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, which brought the number of the jet orders to 340 in total, the news agency reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani