Chinese lantern sparks huge fire at British recycling plant

Last Updated: Monday, July 1, 2013 - 17:22

Smethwick: More than 200 firefighters were on Monday battling a major blaze at a recycling plant in Britain after a falling Chinese lantern set 100,000 tonnes of paper and plastic alight.

Ten firefighters suffered minor injuries as they fought to put out the flames at the plant in Smethwick, just outside Britain`s second city Birmingham in central England, the local fire department said.
The fire sent a massive plume of smoke rising 1,800 metres into the sky which could be seen for miles around.

"Two officers have been hospitalised and eight have been treated at the scene," a spokeswoman for the fire service said.

The service added in a message on its Twitter page: "Major fire at Smethwick caused by a chinese lantern, make sure you use them safely."

Emergency services were called to the fire at the J&A Young plant, which is on an industrial estate, at around 0330 IST Sunday night.
Paper sky lanterns are increasingly popular at British celebrations, but there are growing concerns about their potential to cause fires.

The lanterns, which are essentially small hot-air balloons have been banned in countries including Australia and the US states of Hawaii and Illinois.

Manufacturers say they should never be used near dry crops or within five miles of an airport.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Monday, July 1, 2013 - 17:21

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus