Chinese leader warns on falsification of Soviet history
Moscow: Chinese President Hu Jintao Sunday
spoke out against rewriting the history of the Soviet Union`s
role in World War II, while attending Moscow celebrations for
the 65th anniversary of victory.
"Some forces are trying to rewrite or erase the
outstanding role of the Soviet people in the victory in World
War II," said Hu while meeting Russian President Dmitry
Medvedev, Russian news agencies reported.
"When it comes to judging the history of World War
II, China has an identical position to Russia," Hu said,
calling for Moscow and Beijing to "decisively defend the
veracity and seriousness of historical truth."
Both Medvedev and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin
have publicly warned against what they call the falsification
of history and criticised other countries for downplaying the
Soviet Union`s role in winning World War II.
Russia has also become more open about its past,
recently giving public access to documents about the Katyn
massacre in 1940, when Soviet secret police killed thousands
of Polish officers.
China fought Japan from 1937 until the end of World
War II in 1945. After a civil war, the People`s Republic of
China was established in 1949.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'