Church building collapses in Nigeria, 22 killed
Abuja: A church building collapsed in a northern Nigerian state on Sunday, killing 22 worshipers and injuring 31 others on a tragic Easter day that also saw two car bombs claim several lives near a church.
Cletus Akwaya, the government spokesman of the Benue state where the building collapsed, said the incident may not be linked to any terrorist attack.
He said there was a heavy downpour before the building of St Robert`s Catholic Church located in Adamgbe area of the state caved in.
The injured were taken to a government hospital nearby. The building had more than 3,000 worshippers who were initially holding an outdoor service before a heavy downpour followed by storm led them in.
Fourteen women and six children were among the dead, Akwaya said, adding that the roof of the building was blown off by the wind.
Violent storms and flooding is often associated with the rainy season in Nigeria which witnesses heavy downpour across the country.
At least 50 people were feared killed in two car bomb explosions near a church during Easter Sunday services in another northern Nigerian city of Kaduna, yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested