Clashes in Egypt mark two years since Mubarak’s fall
Cairo: Egyptian police tonight fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse protesters here outside the presidential palace after demonstrations to mark the second anniversary of Hosni Mubarak`s overthrow turned violent.
The clashes broke out after protesters tried to breach the security of the presidential palace.
Earlier in the day protesters severed the underground metro and the main bridge of the capital bringing traffic to almost a complete halt.
Hundreds of protesters gathered in central Cairo`s Tahrir Square, a hub of anti-regime protests during Mubarak era, and chanted slogans like "The revolution continues".
In Sharqiya, the hometown of Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi, protesters stormed the Sharqiya Governorate building following clashes with security forces.
Demonstrators hurled Molotov cocktails, setting fire to the first floor of the building. Documents, computers and photocopiers were reportedly destroyed in the blaze.
Ten fire engines were deployed to the scene. Security forces cordoned off the area, then dispersed the protesters.
Prosecutors were sent to the scene of the clashes.
They confiscated the remains of Molotov cocktails as evidence, and ordered immediate investigation into the incident and the arrest of culprits.
Several other cities in the north are witnessing protests against the Muslim Brotherhood and the president but so far they have not gained momentum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’