Clashes in Egypt mark two years since Mubarak’s fall
Cairo: Egyptian police tonight fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse protesters here outside the presidential palace after demonstrations to mark the second anniversary of Hosni Mubarak`s overthrow turned violent.
The clashes broke out after protesters tried to breach the security of the presidential palace.
Earlier in the day protesters severed the underground metro and the main bridge of the capital bringing traffic to almost a complete halt.
Hundreds of protesters gathered in central Cairo`s Tahrir Square, a hub of anti-regime protests during Mubarak era, and chanted slogans like "The revolution continues".
In Sharqiya, the hometown of Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi, protesters stormed the Sharqiya Governorate building following clashes with security forces.
Demonstrators hurled Molotov cocktails, setting fire to the first floor of the building. Documents, computers and photocopiers were reportedly destroyed in the blaze.
Ten fire engines were deployed to the scene. Security forces cordoned off the area, then dispersed the protesters.
Prosecutors were sent to the scene of the clashes.
They confiscated the remains of Molotov cocktails as evidence, and ordered immediate investigation into the incident and the arrest of culprits.
Several other cities in the north are witnessing protests against the Muslim Brotherhood and the president but so far they have not gained momentum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand