Clashes in Egypt mark two years since Mubarak’s fall
Cairo: Egyptian police tonight fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse protesters here outside the presidential palace after demonstrations to mark the second anniversary of Hosni Mubarak`s overthrow turned violent.
The clashes broke out after protesters tried to breach the security of the presidential palace.
Earlier in the day protesters severed the underground metro and the main bridge of the capital bringing traffic to almost a complete halt.
Hundreds of protesters gathered in central Cairo`s Tahrir Square, a hub of anti-regime protests during Mubarak era, and chanted slogans like "The revolution continues".
In Sharqiya, the hometown of Egyptian President Mohammed Mursi, protesters stormed the Sharqiya Governorate building following clashes with security forces.
Demonstrators hurled Molotov cocktails, setting fire to the first floor of the building. Documents, computers and photocopiers were reportedly destroyed in the blaze.
Ten fire engines were deployed to the scene. Security forces cordoned off the area, then dispersed the protesters.
Prosecutors were sent to the scene of the clashes.
They confiscated the remains of Molotov cocktails as evidence, and ordered immediate investigation into the incident and the arrest of culprits.
Several other cities in the north are witnessing protests against the Muslim Brotherhood and the president but so far they have not gained momentum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India