Coptic cleric says he will sue Israeli police
Jerusalem: An Egyptian Coptic cleric who was mistreated during Orthodox Easter services is threatening to sue.
Video supplied to a news agency shows Israeli police shoving Arsanious el-Orshalimi and putting him in a headlock. The incident took place during Orthodox Christian Holy Saturday in Jerusalem`s Old City earlier this month. The event drew thousands of people to the area, and hundreds of Israeli police were on guard.
A dozen church leaders in the Holy Land later signed a letter expressing concern over the incident.
El-Orshalimi says he will not remain silent and will "take this issue to court because of all the pain that I suffered."
Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld today said the officers involved are being questioned. He said police will work to prevent such incidents in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list