Curfew imposed on violence struck Nigerian city
Abuja: A curfew was imposed in a northern Nigerian city where at least 31 people have been killed since Thursday in attacks by a radical Islamic sect Boko Haram and an ensuing crackdown by the military.
Hundreds of residents of the city were fleeing after four days of attacks by Boko Haram that left several dead and many buildings and properties razed.
The governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Gaidam, declared that a partial evening curfew will be imposed on Potiskum and urged residents to cooperate with security forces as work to ensure security in the city.
A statement from the governor`s spokesman, Abdullahi Bego, said approval has been given for "the imposition of restriction of movement in Potiskum town beginning from Monday 22nd October 2012 from 4.00 PM to 7.00 AM daily".
The Governor also extended condolences to the families of those who were killed by the criminal gangs and whose property was destroyed over the last few days.
On Sunday, hundreds of residents of the city fled to other neighbouring areas after Boko Haram militants launched attacks on the city.
The city, which is the commercial nerve centre of Yobe State, has substantial sympathisers of Boko Haram, and following the attacks military lauched a crackdown.
Boko Haram wants to install an Islamic caliphate in northern Nigeria though the region has a large number of Christians who are in the minority.
In the southern part of the country where the Christians are in majority, the sect has not been able to establish its presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song