Curfew imposed on violence struck Nigerian city
Abuja: A curfew was imposed in a northern Nigerian city where at least 31 people have been killed since Thursday in attacks by a radical Islamic sect Boko Haram and an ensuing crackdown by the military.
Hundreds of residents of the city were fleeing after four days of attacks by Boko Haram that left several dead and many buildings and properties razed.
The governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Gaidam, declared that a partial evening curfew will be imposed on Potiskum and urged residents to cooperate with security forces as work to ensure security in the city.
A statement from the governor`s spokesman, Abdullahi Bego, said approval has been given for "the imposition of restriction of movement in Potiskum town beginning from Monday 22nd October 2012 from 4.00 PM to 7.00 AM daily".
The Governor also extended condolences to the families of those who were killed by the criminal gangs and whose property was destroyed over the last few days.
On Sunday, hundreds of residents of the city fled to other neighbouring areas after Boko Haram militants launched attacks on the city.
The city, which is the commercial nerve centre of Yobe State, has substantial sympathisers of Boko Haram, and following the attacks military lauched a crackdown.
Boko Haram wants to install an Islamic caliphate in northern Nigeria though the region has a large number of Christians who are in the minority.
In the southern part of the country where the Christians are in majority, the sect has not been able to establish its presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read