Curfew imposed on violence struck Nigerian city
Abuja: A curfew was imposed in a northern Nigerian city where at least 31 people have been killed since Thursday in attacks by a radical Islamic sect Boko Haram and an ensuing crackdown by the military.
Hundreds of residents of the city were fleeing after four days of attacks by Boko Haram that left several dead and many buildings and properties razed.
The governor of Yobe State, Ibrahim Gaidam, declared that a partial evening curfew will be imposed on Potiskum and urged residents to cooperate with security forces as work to ensure security in the city.
A statement from the governor`s spokesman, Abdullahi Bego, said approval has been given for "the imposition of restriction of movement in Potiskum town beginning from Monday 22nd October 2012 from 4.00 PM to 7.00 AM daily".
The Governor also extended condolences to the families of those who were killed by the criminal gangs and whose property was destroyed over the last few days.
On Sunday, hundreds of residents of the city fled to other neighbouring areas after Boko Haram militants launched attacks on the city.
The city, which is the commercial nerve centre of Yobe State, has substantial sympathisers of Boko Haram, and following the attacks military lauched a crackdown.
Boko Haram wants to install an Islamic caliphate in northern Nigeria though the region has a large number of Christians who are in the minority.
In the southern part of the country where the Christians are in majority, the sect has not been able to establish its presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far