Dalai Lama praises Solidarity in Poland
Warsaw: Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, praised the Polish labour union Solidarity on Wednesday in Wroclaw, western Poland, saying he felt a special bond with the movement which battled communism in the 1980s.
The Dalai Lama spoke to a crowd of some 6,000 people at Wroclaw`s Centennial Hall during a two-day visit that followed the spiritual leader`s stops in Hungary and Germany.
The Dalai Lama said that in 1980, when Solidarity first formed, he felt a bond of brotherhood with the union that helped topple communism under the leadership of Lech Walesa.
He launched his visit on Wednesday by visiting an exhibit about Solidarity put together to mark the 30th anniversary this year of the union`s founding. The Tibetan leader held up his fingers in a V sign for victory, and said that each living being longs for freedom.
The Dalai Lama was due later to visit the city`s district of four temples, where there stand in near vicinity a synagogue and three churches - Lutheran, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox. The spiritual leader said in 2008 that he was impressed with the site because the four temples functioned near each other without conflict.
The Tibetan spiritual leader received an honorary citizenship from the city of Wroclaw in 2008, and became an honorary citizen of Warsaw a year later.
China has accused the Dalai Lama of wanting an independent Tibet, but the leader says he wants autonomy for the region.
The Dalai Lama fled Tibet after an abortive uprising against China in 1959, and set up a Tibetan government-in-exile in India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan