Date `set` to apply Iran nuclear deal: Report
Tehran: Experts from Iran and the P5+1 group of world powers have chosen January 20 to begin implementing the Geneva deal on Tehran`s nuclear programme, IRNA news agency said.
"One of the main proposals is to begin applying the agreement from January 20," the agency cited Hamid Baeedinejad as saying yesterday.
"There is agreement in principle on this date, which has yet to be approved by the politicians," he said.
Baeedinejad, who heads the Iranian delegation of experts, had already been reported on Tuesday by the ISNA news agency as saying the deal should be implemented in late January.
Experts from Iran and the so-called P5+1 -- the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China plus Germany -- have been holding technical talks on implementing an agreement reached November 24 on Iran`s controversial nuclear ambitions.
The interim deal requires that Iran freeze or curb its nuclear activities for six months in exchange for some sanctions relief while the two sides try to reach a comprehensive agreement.
On Tuesday, Tehran`s lead negotiator Abbas Araqchi reported "good progress" in the technical talks.
Baeedinejad said yesterday that "two or three issues of a political nature must be resolved at political levels", without elaborating.
Western nations and Israel have long suspected Iran is covertly pursuing a nuclear weapons capability alongside its civilian programme, charges denied by Tehran, which insists its uranium enrichment is for purely peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh