David Cameron promotes Typhoon jets in Middle East
London/Abu Dhabi: Aiming to boost his country`s arms sales to oil-rich Gulf states, UK Prime Minister David Cameron has embarked on a three-day visit to the Middle East to push for the sale of as many as 100 British-made fighter jets worth billions.
Cameron, who has arrived in UAE, will promote the new Eurofighter Typhoons - which are partly made in Britain - to Saudi Arabia and Oman also.
The British embassy tweeted that Cameron had arrived in the United Arab Emirates "for a series of meetings." It later tweeted that he had breakfasted with British troops based in the Gulf state.
According to a statement by Cameron`s office, the prime minister, after his arrival, was to accompany senior Emirati officials on an inspection of RAF Typhoons stationed at a UAE airbase as part of a training exercise.
The visit to the UAE, to be followed by a stopover in Saudi Arabia, "signals the PM`s commitment to cementing long-term partnerships with two of Britain`s most important strategic allies in the Gulf," the statement said.
UK media reports have said the trip is to give push to British defence industry.
According to the Daily Telegraph, any new contracts would be a significant boost for BAE Systems, the UK`s flagship defence manufacturer, which last month saw merger talks with European EADS collapse after the German Government blocked the tie-up.
"It is highly unusual for a Prime Minister to be so open about the need to win defence contracts.
"His intervention suggests BAE and the Government think they have a good chance of persuading the UAE to buy 60 Typhoon fighter jets, even though it has engaged in protracted negotiations to buy Rafale jets from France’s Dassault.
"It would be a major coup for BAE and its Typhoon partners EADS and Finmeccanica, after the consortium lost out to Dassault on a deal to sell 126 fighters to India earlier this year," the daily said.
Failure to secure the India contract was one of the key motivations behind BAE and EADS`s decision to attempt to formally strengthen ties through a merger, it added.
Oman is in talks with BAE for 12 of the Typhoon jets, with a deal due to be signed off by the end of the year.
The Saudis are also looking to place what Downing Street sources describe as a "substantial" order for more jets on top of the 72 jets they have already acquired.
Cameron will be using all his persuasive skills to try to persuade the UAE to replace its current fleet of French mirage jets with Typhoons, the report said.
If the sales push comes off, officials said the deals could be worth more than 6 billion pounds to British firms, with more benefits to companies in the supply chain.
Britain is also keen to deepen ties with Gulf states amid growing concern about Iran`s alleged attempts to develop their own nuclear weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM