Divers search for 24 missing from Philippine ferry
Manila: Deep-sea divers searched today for
a sunken ferry and 24 missing people after it collided with
another vessel and went down on Christmas Eve.
Search-and-rescue teams, backed by six government ships
and three aircraft, have combed a 20-nautical-mile
(37-kilometre) radius of Manila Bay since Thursday, but the
ferry has yet to be located, the head of the Philippine coast
Three bodies and 46 survivors were recovered hours after
MV Catalyn B, a wooden-hulled ferry with 73 people on board,
collided with the 369-ton fishing vessel Anathalia before dawn
Thursday near the mouth of Manila Bay. No additional bodies
have been found since.
Coast guard officials say many passengers were sleeping
and had no time to get life vests on and many of the missing
may have been trapped inside.
The 79-ton ferry was travelling from the capital, Manila,
to southwest Mindoro Island with passengers returning home for
Admiral Wilfredo Tamayo, the coast guard chief, told The
Associated Press divers were looking for the vessel and hoped
to conduct deep-sea searches for bodies once they locate the
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo yesterday ordered the
owners of the ferry and fishing boat involved in the collision
to suspend operations of all their vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo