Documents show NYPD infiltrated liberal groups
New York: New York Police Department documents show that undercover officers attended meetings of liberal political groups and kept intelligence files on activists.
The records show how, since the attacks of September 11, 2001, counterterrorism tactics have been used to monitor even lawful activities.
In April 2008, an undercover officer attended the People`s Summit in New Orleans, a gathering of liberal groups opposed to US economic policies. Documents obtained by a news agency show police noted groups and activists in attendance. No crimes were alleged.
The infiltration echoes tactics used before New York`s 2004 Republican National Convention. Police said they had to keep tabs on groups that might get violent, as they have in other cities.
Police say they can go wherever the public can go to look for signs of crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof