Documents show NYPD infiltrated liberal groups
New York: New York Police Department documents show that undercover officers attended meetings of liberal political groups and kept intelligence files on activists.
The records show how, since the attacks of September 11, 2001, counterterrorism tactics have been used to monitor even lawful activities.
In April 2008, an undercover officer attended the People`s Summit in New Orleans, a gathering of liberal groups opposed to US economic policies. Documents obtained by a news agency show police noted groups and activists in attendance. No crimes were alleged.
The infiltration echoes tactics used before New York`s 2004 Republican National Convention. Police said they had to keep tabs on groups that might get violent, as they have in other cities.
Police say they can go wherever the public can go to look for signs of crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This packing hack is just awesome! Watch video
- Modi govt@2: Have an enormous task ahead, says PM
- Hindu majority needed to save democracy in India, Uniform Civil Code important: Subramanian Swamy
- Good news for wait-listed passengers! Now upgrade to Air India if train ticket not confirmed
- North Korea's Kim Jong-Un turns into a matchmaker for his sister, set to host dating contest