Dozens of miners trapped in Chile mine: Officials
Santiago: At least 34 miners were trapped
inside a copper and gold mine in northern Chile after a
cave-in, authorities said on Friday, although their condition was
Officials said the accident occurred last night in
the San Esteban mine near the city of Copiapo, in the arid
Atacama desert 800 kilometres north of Santiago.
"The assessment of the terrain indicates there is a
blockage in the mine`s main shaft," an official report said.
Police entered the mine through a vent and made a
detailed assessment, the report said.
The governor of the Atacama region, Ximena Matas, said
that at least 34 miners were trapped inside and that the
cave-in occurred at a depth of 300 meters.
"There was a cave-in at the 300 (meter) level and workers
were below that. At the moment we can say they are trapped,"
she told Bio Bio radio.
"We have information that there is a shelter with the
basics needed to support people for a time, such as oxygen,
protective gear, overcoats, etc."
"We cannot talk about victims at this point," she said.
"The information we have is that they are trapped, but we have
no concrete information on the condition they are in," she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price