Dubai jail sentence upheld for UK kissing couple
Dubai: A Dubai appeals court has upheld a one-month prison sentence for a British couple convicted of kissing in a restaurant.
The two landed in court after an Emirati woman complained about the public kiss, which the couple insisted was just a peck on the cheek. They were arrested in November and convicted of inappropriate behaviour.
Cosmopolitan Dubai has the most relaxed social codes in the conservative Gulf, but authorities still crack down on people accused of pushing the limits.
In a similar case, an Indian couple was sentenced to three months in jail for exchanging steamy text messages. In 2008, two Britons accused of having sex on the beach got three months in jail, though their sentences were later suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO