Dutch authorities raid butcher in horsemeat probe
The Hague (Netherlands): Dutch prosecutors say food safety experts have raided a meat processing plant as part of a criminal investigation into horsemeat fraud.
Prosecutors said today the company in North Brabant province is believed to have processed horsemeat from the Netherlands and Ireland, and mixed it with beef before selling the mixture as "pure" beef.
Prosecutors said in a statement the company is suspected of "fraud and money laundering."
The company was not named, in line with Dutch privacy laws.
Food safety investigators raided business premises and a home, seized documents and took samples of meat for analysis.
The Dutch Food Safety Authority announced yesterday it has launched a large-scale investigation throughout the food chain -- from slaughterhouses to supermarkets -- as part of Europe-wide efforts to trace fraudulently traded horsemeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?