Dutch police detain brothers, 5 and 7, after crash
The Hague: Dutch police on Saturday briefly detained two brothers aged five and seven who crashed a car after a mile-long joyride.
"A police patrol this morning saw a car with the doors open and two young boys stood next to it," in Bloemendael, west of Amsterdam, police spokeswoman Lenny Beijerbergen told AFP.
"The seven-year-old boy told police that he had driven the car around one-and-a-half kilometres (one mile), hit a metal post on the pavement and come to a standstill," Beijerbergen said.
A policeman tweeted a photo of the crash scene, saying that the car belonged to the boys` grandmother.
The photo, which was quickly removed from Twitter, showed the boys, the car and the uprooted post in a residential street strewn with debris from the car.
"At least I had my seat belt on! And my brother was in the child`s seat," the seven-year-old driver said when police turned up, national news agency ANP reported.
"The boys were taken to the police station, given a talking to and made aware of what they`ve done," Beijerbergen said.
"Then they were taken home. Thankfully they were both unhurt."
She said there was considerable damage to the car and the pavement.
"This is really quite remarkable, I`ve never seen anything like it, seven is very young," Beijerbergen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process
- China: 131 admitted to hospital after leak at chemical factory
- Class 12 toppers scam: Bihar School Examination Board clerk arrested
- Disha Patani and I are 'good friends', says Tiger Shroff
- Outdoor games can make your kid smarter