Egypt police arrest Christmas murder suspects
Luxor (Egypt): Police arrested on Friday three men
suspected of carrying out a Christmas Eve drive-by shooting in
southern Egypt that killed six Christians, a security official
Police discovered the car used in the attack and then
surrounded farm fields where the suspects were believed to be
hiding late yesterday, before taking them into custody the
next day, the official added on condition of anonymity because
he was not authorised to speak to the press.
The three men are all known to have criminal records,
according to the state media.
Three gunmen opened fire on a crowd of worshippers
leaving a church in the town of Naga Hamadi, 64 kilometres
north of the famed ruins of Luxor on Wednesday, the day before
Egypt`s orthodox Coptic Christians celebrate Christmas.
A Muslim guard was also killed, and nine others wounded,
including three in serious condition.
Thousands of Christians in Naga Hamadi went on a rampage
yesterday protesting the attack and perceived discrimination
against their community. They clashed with police and smashed
ambulance and shop windows.
Today, though officials reported that calm had been
restored amid a massive security presence.
Egyptian Prosecutor General Abdel-Maguid Mahmoud arrived
today to take charge of investigations into the attack and
there was also a major meeting of security heads to ensure
that violence does not erupt anew, especially following weekly
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees