Egypt to release political prisoners: PM
Cairo: Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed
Shafiq said on Saturday the government would soon release 222 of the
country`s remaining 487 political prisoners, the official MENA
news agency reported.
Only a handful of them were arrested during the
18-day revolt that toppled former president Hosni Mubarak on
February 11, he said.
"Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq announced that there
are 487 remaining political prisoners and the government will
soon release 222 of them," the agency reported.
"He said there was only a small group of those
arrested during the events of the January 25 revolution, no
more than a handful, and their release is being studied now,"
The report did not clarify whether the remaining
prisoners would be released later. Their release is one of the
main demands of youth and opposition groups who took part in
Shafiq also said he was trying to determine the
fate of young people who went missing during the revolt.
A leading Egyptian rights activist said on Tuesday
that hundreds of people went missing during the protests,
alleging that some are being held by the military, which took
over the country after Mubarak`s resignation.
Gamal Eid, a lawyer who heads the Arabic Network
for Human Rights Information, said: "There are hundreds of
detained, but information on their numbers is still not
complete... The army was holding detainees."
His group said in a statement that it was still
receiving "information relating to the disappearances of many
youths and citizens."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in