Egyptian Orthodox Church withdraws from constituent assembly
Cairo: Egypt`s Orthodox Church, a main branch of Coptics, withdrew from the Constitutional Assembly tasked with writing a new constitution for the country over disagreement with Islamic members in the assembly.
According to the sources, the decision of the Orthodox Church comes after differences among the three churches, Orthodox, Coptic and Catholic, in defining their final position regarding the constituent assembly.
The final decision of the churches was expected when after the new Pope is ordained tomorrow morning.
The constituent assembly was subject to heavy criticism as Islamists constitute a majority and have been attempting to place hardline articles in particular in the field of women rights and freedom of expression.
Egypt`s liberal forces and Coptics have accused Islamists, who make up almost half of the CA, of dominating the writing of the constitution, fearing that it will produce a draft constitution that does not meet the aspirations of most Egyptians.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says