Egyptian police arrests top Islamist leader after Morsi`s ouster
Washington: The most influential Islamist politician, Khairat al-Shater, has been arrested by the Egyptian police on Friday over aiding ousted Islamist President Mohamed Morsi.
An interior ministry general said Khairat al-Shater and his brother have been arrested at the request of the prosecution.
Fox News reports that the move comes as the Egyptian A chief, General Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, oust ed Morsi on Wednesday and announced that the head of Egypt`s Constitutional Court will be appointed head of the state.
Sisi said that the Islamist-drafted constitution will be suspended and early presidential and parliamentary elections will be held. He further added that a technocrat cabinet will be appointed to run the country during a transition period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway