Egyptians react to `terror group` designation of Muslim Brotherhood
Cairo: Egypt`s decades-old Muslim Brotherhood movement is said to be a million strong.
It consistently won elections after the 2011 Egyptian uprising.
But on Wednesday, the army-backed government escalated its campaign against the Brotherhood by formally designated it a terror group.
The designation was in reaction to a deadly suicide bomb attack the day before that the government blames on the Brotherhood but which the Brotherhood denied.
Another group claimed responsibility for the attack.
But violence has plagued Egypt since July.
That`s when the army toppled Brotherhood member Mohamed Mursi from the Presidency.
Since then, hundreds of government forces -- and hundreds more Brotherhood supporters -- have died in clashes.
On Thursday, dozens of Muslim Brotherhood supporters were detained on suspicion of membership in a terrorist organization.
The move came just one day after the new terror law went into effect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?