Egyptians react to `terror group` designation of Muslim Brotherhood
Cairo: Egypt`s decades-old Muslim Brotherhood movement is said to be a million strong.
It consistently won elections after the 2011 Egyptian uprising.
But on Wednesday, the army-backed government escalated its campaign against the Brotherhood by formally designated it a terror group.
The designation was in reaction to a deadly suicide bomb attack the day before that the government blames on the Brotherhood but which the Brotherhood denied.
Another group claimed responsibility for the attack.
But violence has plagued Egypt since July.
That`s when the army toppled Brotherhood member Mohamed Mursi from the Presidency.
Since then, hundreds of government forces -- and hundreds more Brotherhood supporters -- have died in clashes.
On Thursday, dozens of Muslim Brotherhood supporters were detained on suspicion of membership in a terrorist organization.
The move came just one day after the new terror law went into effect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details