Eiffel Tower evacuated over bomb scare
Paris:The Eiffel Tower and its surroundings in Paris were evacuated Friday evening after an anonymous caller, claiming to be member of terror outfit Al Qaeda, said there was a bomb kept nearby.
Police received a call around 5 p.m. from the man, Xinhua reported citing local broadcaster Europe1.
Around 2,000 visitors were asked to quit the 324-metre-tall tower, but police did not find any explosive as described in the phone call.
In 1995, two explosions took place in Paris, causing several casualties.
Since September 2010, Paris has been hit by fake bomb alerts -- two alerts on the Eiffel Tower, one alert at the Champs Elysees Avenue and another at the Saint-Michel railway station.
The Eiffel Tower built in 1889 is one of the world`s most popular tourist attractions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH