Eiffel Tower evacuated over bomb scare
Paris:The Eiffel Tower and its surroundings in Paris were evacuated Friday evening after an anonymous caller, claiming to be member of terror outfit Al Qaeda, said there was a bomb kept nearby.
Police received a call around 5 p.m. from the man, Xinhua reported citing local broadcaster Europe1.
Around 2,000 visitors were asked to quit the 324-metre-tall tower, but police did not find any explosive as described in the phone call.
In 1995, two explosions took place in Paris, causing several casualties.
Since September 2010, Paris has been hit by fake bomb alerts -- two alerts on the Eiffel Tower, one alert at the Champs Elysees Avenue and another at the Saint-Michel railway station.
The Eiffel Tower built in 1889 is one of the world`s most popular tourist attractions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted