`Eight dead` in blast in Russia`s Dagestan
Moscow: Eight people were killed on Thursday in a bomb attack in Russia`s southern region of Dagestan, the latest unrest in the troubled North Caucasus, officials said.
"At around 10:30 (0630 GMT), an explosive device went off as repair workers drove by in a vehicle," the investigative committee of Russian prosecutors said in a statement.
"As a result, eight people died and four police officers escorting the workers were wounded."
The victims were workers who were sent to fix a cell phone mast that had been blown up the previous day by unidentified attackers in the district of Sergokalinsk, investigators said.
"Police were sent to the scene and a shootout is currently in progress with the attackers," a spokesman for the local branch of the Federal Security Service said.
A group of investigators had set off for the scene and information on the dead and wounded was being checked, the investigative committee said.
The workers from the republic`s radio and television broadcasting centre may have been lured into an ambush by rebels and blown up by a landmine, Russian NTV television reported.
The police wounded included the commander of the republic`s riot police, ITAR-TASS news agency reported.
The local pro-Kremlin authorities in Dagestan and other North Caucasus regions are battling to defeat an Islamist insurgency that has already left scores of civilians and police dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?