Elderly Briton arrested over mosque bomb
London: The British police arrested a 75-year-old man on Thursday on suspicion of planting a home-made bomb that exploded near a mosque.
Police said the man was arrested by counter-terrorism officers at his home in Walsall, central England, where the small bomb exploded last Friday.
There has been a spike in anti-Muslim incidents in Britain since a soldier was murdered on a London street last month in a suspected Islamist attack.
Nobody was hurt in the Walsall explosion and damage was minimal, police said.
The suspect was arrested on suspicion of causing an explosion likely to endanger life or damage property. He was being questioned at a police station and his home was being searched.
Around 150 people had to be evacuated from their homes after the bomb was discovered outside the Aisha Mosque, while police launched a major hate crime investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city