Elderly Briton arrested over mosque bomb
London: The British police arrested a 75-year-old man on Thursday on suspicion of planting a home-made bomb that exploded near a mosque.
Police said the man was arrested by counter-terrorism officers at his home in Walsall, central England, where the small bomb exploded last Friday.
There has been a spike in anti-Muslim incidents in Britain since a soldier was murdered on a London street last month in a suspected Islamist attack.
Nobody was hurt in the Walsall explosion and damage was minimal, police said.
The suspect was arrested on suspicion of causing an explosion likely to endanger life or damage property. He was being questioned at a police station and his home was being searched.
Around 150 people had to be evacuated from their homes after the bomb was discovered outside the Aisha Mosque, while police launched a major hate crime investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence