Escalation of Israel, Palestine tension benefits no one: Obama
Washington: Observing that escalation of tension in the Middle East "benefits no one", President Barack Obama has said the US will do everything it can to facilitate a return to the 2012 cease-fire between Israel and the Palestinians.
"I believe further escalation benefits no one, least of all the Israeli and the Palestinian people.?So we`re going to continue doing everything we can to facilitate a return to the 2012 cease-fire," Obama told guests at the annual Iftaar hosted by him at the White House last evening.
Efforts towards a ceasefire between Israel and the Palestinian militant groups are underway to end the current round of violence, but no deal has been reached yet.
"Our goal has been and continues to be peace and security for both Israelis and Palestinians. I will say very clearly, no country can accept rocket fired indiscriminately at citizens. And so, we`ve been very clear that Israel has the right to defend itself against what I consider to be inexcusable attacks from Hamas," Obama said.
"At the same time, on top of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza that we`ve worked long and hard to alleviate, the death and injury of Palestinian civilians is a tragedy, which is why we`ve emphasized the need to protect civilians, regardless of who they are or where they live," he said at the Iftaar, which was attended by eminent Muslim Americans and top foreign diplomats including Indian Ambassador to the US S Jaishankar.
Commenting on reports that Egypt has made a ceasefire proposal, Obama said: "We are encouraged that Egypt has made a proposal to accomplish this goal, which we hope can restore the calm that we`ve been seeking. More broadly, however, the situation in Gaza reminds us again that the status quo is unsustainable and that the only path to true security is a just and lasting peace between Israelis and Palestinians.
Obama has tried to forge a peace deal between Israelis and the Palestinians in his second term without much success.
He said the pictures being seen in Gaza and Israel are heart wrenching.
"People here in the US care deeply about what`s happening there, and I know there are strong views, as well as differences, about how we should move forward, which is part of American democracy. We welcome that debate. That makes us stronger," he said.
This was the sixth Iftar that Obama hosted, continuing the tradition of hosting Iftars and Eid celebrations that began annually under the former president Bill Clinton`s regime and was continued by President George W Bush.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'