Ex-Iceland PM on trial for role in banking crisis
Reyjavik: Iceland`s former prime minister
became on Monday the first political leader to be tried over the
global financial crisis as proceedings began to decide if he
can be held accountable for his country`s banking sector
Geir Haarde, 60, who arrived minutes before proceedings
began at 1530 IST looking cheerful and accompanied by his
wife, asked the court for a third time to dismiss the charges,
which he has called a "farce."
The court is expected to announce whether it is throwing
out the case in several weeks.
After the two-and-a-half hour hearing, Haarde said he
"I`ve always been a very optimistic man," he said, noting
that while "it`s no fun to have to deal with a matter like
this ... everything has gone well."
Haarde was one of four former Icelandic government
ministers blamed in a report last year for contributing to the
country`s stunning financial sector collapse in late 2008,
when all its major banks, which at the time held assets equal
to 923 percent of gross domestic product, failed in a matter
But Parliament, now majority-held by Haarde`s
left-leaning opponents, voted last September that he was the
only one who should be charged with "gross neglect" and he is
thus the first person to go before the Landsdomur, a
never-before used special court for current and ex-ministers.
Haarde headed the right-leaning Independence Party and
held the reins of government from mid-2006 to early 2009 when
his coalition was ousted amid public uproar over the crisis.
His lawyer presented six grounds for dismissal today.
Firstly, he argued no proper probe had been conducted
before the charges were brought against Haarde, that the
indictment was vague and unclear, and that there were no
specific arguments to back up the indictment.
"We have serious complaints about the preparation of the
case, not least the fact that the defendant, Geir Haarde, has
never been questioned as a defendant," Haarde`s lawyer, Andri
He also argued that the prosecutor in the case, Sigridur
Fridjonsdottir, had acted as an adviser to the parliamentary
committee that proposed the indictment and therefore had a
conflict of interest.
He further insisted the rules of the procedures in the
special Landsdomur court were unclear, and finally claimed the
Parliament "ignored the constitutional rule of equal treatment
under the law" when it opted to only indict one of the four
ministers a special parliamentary committee had suggested be
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi