Ex-king Gyanendra hatching conspiracy: Nepal PM
Kathmandu: Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai
has accused Nepal`s dethroned king Gyanendra of conspiring
against the landmark peace process at a time when the former
monarch has increased his appearances at public and religious
functions, fueling speculation over his future plans.
66-year Gyanendra, who has kept a low profile since he
left the Narayanhiti palace in June 2008, when Nepal`s
Constituent Assembly, which acts as the country`s interim
parliament, voted to abolish the centuries-old monarchy and
declare a republic.
The former monarch has lately increased his appearances
at public and religious functions, including visiting
important temples across the country amid pomp and show.
The prime minister said Gyanendra`s `activism` is not a
good sign at a time when the country`s transition is set to be
The Prime Minister said the ex-King "is becoming active
instead of staying as a common citizen by accepting the
Bhattarai was quoted as saying by nepalnews online
yesterday that Gyanendra`s recent statement that democracy and
sovereignty were in danger smacked of conspiracy.
After lying low for months, Gyanendra made a high-profile
public appearance on March 1 at a religious function at Jhumka
in Sunsari district of eastern Nepal, drawing pro-monarch
supporters and loyalists.
Gyanendra, who recently returned to Nepal after weeks of
stay in India, has expressed concern over the deteriorating
law and order situation in the country. A bomb blast in the
heart of the capital Kathmandu on February 27 killed at least
three people and injured seven others.
According Bhattarai, the statement of the former King and
the recent blast in Kathmandu were part of a `conspiracy` to
push the country on the path of conflict and derail the peace
process and the constitution drafting process.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump