Ex-king Gyanendra hatching conspiracy: Nepal PM
Kathmandu: Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai
has accused Nepal`s dethroned king Gyanendra of conspiring
against the landmark peace process at a time when the former
monarch has increased his appearances at public and religious
functions, fueling speculation over his future plans.
66-year Gyanendra, who has kept a low profile since he
left the Narayanhiti palace in June 2008, when Nepal`s
Constituent Assembly, which acts as the country`s interim
parliament, voted to abolish the centuries-old monarchy and
declare a republic.
The former monarch has lately increased his appearances
at public and religious functions, including visiting
important temples across the country amid pomp and show.
The prime minister said Gyanendra`s `activism` is not a
good sign at a time when the country`s transition is set to be
The Prime Minister said the ex-King "is becoming active
instead of staying as a common citizen by accepting the
Bhattarai was quoted as saying by nepalnews online
yesterday that Gyanendra`s recent statement that democracy and
sovereignty were in danger smacked of conspiracy.
After lying low for months, Gyanendra made a high-profile
public appearance on March 1 at a religious function at Jhumka
in Sunsari district of eastern Nepal, drawing pro-monarch
supporters and loyalists.
Gyanendra, who recently returned to Nepal after weeks of
stay in India, has expressed concern over the deteriorating
law and order situation in the country. A bomb blast in the
heart of the capital Kathmandu on February 27 killed at least
three people and injured seven others.
According Bhattarai, the statement of the former King and
the recent blast in Kathmandu were part of a `conspiracy` to
push the country on the path of conflict and derail the peace
process and the constitution drafting process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand