Ex- Republican Jackson Jr. charged with embezzlement
Sydney: Former Republican politician Jesse Jackson Jr. has been charged with misusing 750, 000 dollars of campaign funds, using them for personal use, and may face a prison sentence, according to a criminal information filed in a Washington, D.C court on Friday.
Jackson, who is accused of spending the funds on personal items like a 43,350 dollar-worth gold-plated Rolex watch, fur coats and home furniture, has not denied the charges, ABC News reports.
In a statement released by his attorneys, Jackson, who is also charged with accepting bribes of 28,000 dollars, accepted the charges made, saying that he has no excuses for his conduct, although he stated that no person is immune from their share of shortcomings and human frailties.
Apologising to his family and the concerned people, Jackson said that he wanted to be remembered for the positive things he had done during his life. Jackson`s wife, Sandi, who resigned from her post on the Chicago City Council last month, was also charged with filing false tax returns.
Jackson, who is the son of a former US civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, would have to give up valuable memorabilia related to iconic personalities like Bruce Lee, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix and Martin Luther King Jr, as a part of the criminal information filed against him. Jackson was also charged with criminal conspiracy, making false statements, mail fraud and wire fraud.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception