Femen`s Topless Jihad Day protested by Muslim women group
New York: A Muslim women group, angered by the actions of topless feminist protestors from Femen, have organised a counter-protest to the group`s Topless Jihad Day on social media, in a mission to show that Femen protests does not speak for all members of the Muslim community.
The members of Muslim Women Against Femen are encouraging supporters to participate in Muslimah Pride Day to show that they do not agree with Femen`s actions, New York Daily News reports.
According to the Muslim group`s Facebook page, the protest is an opportunity for Muslim women to get a say and show that they object to the way they are grouped together in one homogenous group without a voice of agency of their own.
Urging their supporters to post pictures of themselves no matter what they opt to wear, the organiser of Muslim Women Against Femen group, Sofia Ahmed, also wrote that Muslimah pride is about connecting with their Muslim identity and reclaiming their collective voice.
Members of Femen all over Europe held bare-breasted demonstrations to show their support for Tunisian activist Amina Tyler who had received death-by-stoning threats for posting topless pictures online in which `F**k your morals` and `My body belongs to me is not the source of anyone`s honor` were written in Arabic, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender