Fifty-five inmates bust out of Ecuador jail
Quito: Fifty-five inmates escaped from an overcrowded jail in Ecuador but 20 were swiftly recaptured, authorities said. Interior Minister Jose Serrano said yesterday the jailbreak occurred with the "express participation" of guards at the facility in Quito, accusing a senior prison official of "negligence."
The director of the prison and several officials had been "relieved of their duties," Serrano added. The detention center is designed for 300 inmates but in fact houses around 1,500 prisoners.
Serrano said the escapees included an inmate serving a 25-year sentence who should have been jailed at an adjoining facility.
The prisoner was likely moved to the detention center to facilitate his escape, Serrano added. The minister said that nine guards out of 24 were supposed to be on duty at the time of the breakout were being investigated after failing to report for their shifts.
Serrano said the breakout was part of a mutiny designed to "cause chaos" in the jail and allow the escape of inmates in neighboring prisons, which authorities were able to prevent.
Ecuador has an estimated 18,000 people in its jails out of a population of 15 million people. A quarter of prisoners are behind bars for drug offenses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video