Fighting in flashpoint Iraq town kills five militants
Baghdad: The Islamic State launched a failed attack on the Iraqi town of Dhuluiya on Thursday, sparking clashes that left at least five of its fighters dead, the army and residents said.
"The Iraqi security forces repelled an attack launched this morning by Daash," military spokesman Qassem Atta told, using IS`s former Arabic acronym.
"The army and airforce, supported by tribal fighters, killed five Daash members, including a senior leader," he said.
Dhuluiya, which is located 90 kilometres (55 miles) north of Baghdad, is a key target in the jihadist group`s attempt to progress toward the capital.
"We killed eight of them. Four bodies are still strewn in the street and Daash has now retreated," said one tribal fighter contacted in Dhuluiya by `phone.
He said one Iraqi policeman was also killed and six people wounded among pro-government ranks during the fighting, which he said was very intense and lasted from 11:00 am (0800 GMT) until 2:30 pm.
The Juburi tribe in the town`s southern district has long been a key Sunni ally of the Shiite-dominated government.
It was a major purveyor of fighters to the anti-jihadist Sahwa network of Sunni tribal fighters created by the United States in 2005-2006 to combat Al-Qaeda.
Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki is now seeking to revive the moribund organisation in a bid to contain IS, which launched a massive offensive on June 9 and swiftly conquered much of the country`s Sunni heartland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’