Filipino troops deployed after 10 soldiers killed
Manila: Philippine military officials say about 600 army soldiers are being deployed to hunt down gunmen who killed 10 soldiers last week in fierce clashes and ambuscades on southern Basilan island.
The military says a C-130 plane was used to transport the soldiers yesterday to Zamboanga city prior to their deployment to Basilan, where 10 soldiers were killed and several others were wounded by dozens of gunmen in clashes on Thursday.
At least four gunmen were believed killed in the clashes, one of the deadliest in the south in recent weeks.
The Moro Islamic Liberation Front, the 11,000-strong rebel group engaged in peace talks with the government, urged the military to coordinate their offensives to avoid accidental clashes with its guerrilla forces in Basilan, where several armed groups have a presence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read