Firearms used by Napoleon`s Army found in waters off Egypt
Cairo: Russian experts have found several rifles and pistols dating back to the 18th century in the depths of the Mediterranean near the port of Alexandria, Egyptian Antiquities Minister Mamdouh al-Damati said.
The discovery was made during an underwater search for sunken ships in an area north of Pharos island in Anfushi Bay.
Preliminary examination of the firearms identified their provenance as a ship of the French military campaign under Napoleon Bonaparte that was defeated in May 1798 by a British fleet at the western entrance to the port of Alexandria.
The discovery opens the way to more extensive studies and underwater exploration, al-Damati said.
The arms recovered will be restored to repair the damage caused to them by time and the seawater, the director general of underwater archaeology said.
In June 1999, Egyptian and French scientists launched a large-scale operation to recover the remains of Napoleon`s fleet, sunk in 1798 in Aboukir Bay, a few kilometers east of the port of Alexandria.
Though the history of the naval battle of Aboukir Bay was perfectly documented, the whereabouts of the sunken French ships remained unknown for 200 years, until a team of underwater researchers found them in 1998.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series