Flooding in El Salvador kills 40
San Salvador: Forty people have died in El Salvador following three days of heavy rains, Interior Minister Humberto Centeno said Sunday.
Centeno told a news conference that the deaths happened in at least five of the 14 provinces of the mountainous Central American country, where it has been raining since Thursday.
Centeno said at least two dozen of the deaths happened in the central San Vicente province. He did not provide details.
Hurricane Ida passed through Nicaragua on Thursday, slamming the country`s Atlantic coast, and damaging or destroying about 500 homes, as well as roads and bridges.
The rains in El Salvador were caused by a low pressure system off the country`s Pacific coast, and while the presence of Ida in the Caribbean may have played some indirect role in helping steer the system, the deaths are not directly linked to the hurricane, said Dave Roberts, a Navy hurricane specialist at the US National Hurricane Centre in Miami, Florida.
"Because Ida is in the northwest Caribbean, there is a very large weakness in the steering currents in the middle levels of the atmosphere that`s making this thing move on shore near El Salvador from the eastern Pacific," he said. "If there were deaths associated with this rainfall amount in El Salvador, I would not link it to Ida."
Ida is a Category 1 hurricane with 90-mph (145-kph) winds and is passing close to Mexico`s Yucatan peninsula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- AAP's protest march to 7 RCR: Detained Delhi Dy CM Sisodia, 52 MLAs released by police
- 'Time to focus on cyber threats to aviation sector in India'
- Alien or rock formation? UFO hunters claim extraterrestrial presence on Mars! - See pic
- Government plans new category visa to attract foreigners, boost trade
- Mann Ki Baat: Declare undisclosed income, assets voluntarily by Sept 30, it is last chance, says PM Modi