Former Brotherhood chief ordered to remain in custody
Cairo: Mahdi Akef, former chief of Egypt`s Muslim Brotherhood, has been ordered to remain in custody for four days pending investigation on charges of insulting the judicial authority, state news agency MENA reported.
Tharwat Hammad, the investigative judge delegated by the justice ministry, also ordered the release of Mohamed Saad al-Katatni, head of the Brotherhood`s Freedom and Justice Party, after fining him 5,000 Egyptian pounds (about $715) in the same case, Xinhua said.
Both the leaders, along with others, were ordered to be arrested over inciting violence against protesters following the ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi July 3.
Akef said he had made some comments to college students, but was later surprised to find them published on Kuwait-based al-Garida newspaper.
Katatni, however, denied reports of using improper words, stressing his respect for the judiciary.
The prosecution also ordered the freezing of assets of 14 Brotherhood leaders, the conservative Salafist group and Al-Jamaa al-Islamiya group.
The leaders include the Brotherhood`s Mohamed Badie, the group`s former general guide Mahdi Akef, the party`s deputy head Essam al-Erian, and Islamic preacher Safwat Hegazi.
They are suspected of inciting violence outside the Republican Guards House in Cairo and Nahdah Square in Giza, which left at least 60 dead.
The prosecution Saturday began to examine complaints against Morsi and several members of the Brotherhood`s party and the guidance bureau over their involvement in spying and murdering protesters, MENA quoted prosecution spokesman Adel Saad as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail