Four die in Egypt clashes after man killed by police
Cairo: Egypt`s Health Ministry says overnight clashes between police and residents of a densely populated district just north of Cairo have left four people dead.
Security officials say the clashes began when a bystander in Shubra al-Kheima was hit by a stray bullet fired by police chasing an alleged drug dealer. They began last night and continued till Sunday.
The ministry said in a statement that the 12 wounded included two officers and a police conscript.
Clashes between police and civilians have been common since the ouster of autocratic leader Hosni Mubarak in an uprising nearly two years ago.
Police brutality was one of the major causes of the 2011 uprising.
The officials spoke anonymously as they were not authorised to talk to the press.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam