Four held under UK`s Terrorism Act
London: Four persons were arrested on Monday in anti-terror raids in the British cities of Manchester and Bolton in response to an unspecified `overseas threat`, police said.
The arrests were made early this morning in the two north England cities under Britain`s Terrorism Act following raids by counter-terrorism officials.
Officers from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit arrested the four men at addresses in the north west in a co-ordinated operation starting at 4 am, the Greater Manchester Police said.
Three properties in Manchester and one in Bolton were searched, a force spokesman said.
The spokesman said: "People living in nearby communities will see a high profile police presence during the day and will be able to discuss issues with local officers".
"This was a low-key operation and no armed officers were involved. There is no further information available at this time," he said.
Police sources said there was no imminent terrorist danger to the Greater Manchester area and the arrests were related to an alleged `overseas threat`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days