Four militants killed, several arrested in Egypt`s North Sinai
Cairo: Four militants were killed while 14 others were arrested on Saturday in a raid by Egyptian military in North Sinai.
The Army destroyed 27 vehicles, including 21 motorcycles, that were used by militants in terrorist attacks, said Mohamed Samir, the spokesperson of the Armed Forces.
Apart from the 14 militants arrested, 93 illegal immigrants were also detained by the border guard forces, according to the spokesperson.
North Sinai has been the scene of many violent attacks by Islamists since the January 2011 revolution that toppled Egyptian strongman Hosni Mubarak.
Islamist militant attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of president Mohammed Morsi last year.
Many policemen and soldiers have been killed in the attacks which included bombings and shootings.
The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belong to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...