Four militants killed, several arrested in Egypt`s North Sinai
Cairo: Four militants were killed while 14 others were arrested on Saturday in a raid by Egyptian military in North Sinai.
The Army destroyed 27 vehicles, including 21 motorcycles, that were used by militants in terrorist attacks, said Mohamed Samir, the spokesperson of the Armed Forces.
Apart from the 14 militants arrested, 93 illegal immigrants were also detained by the border guard forces, according to the spokesperson.
North Sinai has been the scene of many violent attacks by Islamists since the January 2011 revolution that toppled Egyptian strongman Hosni Mubarak.
Islamist militant attacks targeting police and military increased after the ouster of president Mohammed Morsi last year.
Many policemen and soldiers have been killed in the attacks which included bombings and shootings.
The military has launched security campaigns in the area, arrested suspects and demolished houses that belong to terrorists, including those facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India